Saturday, March 14, 2009
Friday, March 13, 2009
Well, I've been using cloth diapers for 2 days now (going on 3) and I am pretty happy. Both Sheridan and Henry are in them during the day. I haven't been brave enough to try nights, yet.
Tuesday I received all my prefolds. Washed them 3 times and dried them in preparation for the CD experience. I'd received my covers and snappies a week prior.
Wednesday I stayed home. I was soooo nervous that the kids were going to pee through their diapers or have monumental blowouts...but they didn't I started off changing them about every hour, doubling up for naps, etc. I was nervous about the poopy diapers...but everything went well. No leaks whatsoever. Cleaning up the poop wasn't a problem, either. Henry's got nursing poop, so those don't have to be shaken off...Sheridan's were the scary ones! Fortunately, I ran across the idea of having a bucket for hosing off the diapers in the tub. It worked WAY better than trying to clean them off in the toilet (plus, that was tooooooo nasty to me). You just hold on to the clean edge and put the dirty part in the bucket and use the handheld shower to rinse off the poo into the bucket. The bucket water goes in the toilet with all the poo and is flushed away. The diaper is poo-free and goes in the pail (with a little sprinkle of baking soda). No mess or nastiness. Probably used 18 diapers between the 2!
I left Wednesday thinking I could probably do it...
Thursday I tried some different folds and the kiddos ended up with huge Cloth Diaper bums! It was a little hilarious. I changed them every 2-3 hours instead of every 1-1.5, and didn't double up for naps (and Sheridan had a full 3 hour nap). NO PROBLEMS!!! I think this could end up working well. I only used about 9 diapers for both kids, plus 2 disposables for overnight.
Washed the diapers and put them in the dryer at bedtime. They were ready to go this morning!
Sheridan loves them...although she is expressing SOME desire to sit on the potty more often. All part of my sneaky plan!
I still need to figure out how to do nighttimes in cloth, as well as long trips with CD's instead of disposables...but so far, so good! (my tree-hugging friends would be proud!)
The added benefit for my skinny Shei is that the CD bum keeps her pants up a little better.
Here's a chance to see how well you really know your husband. Cut, paste and fill in the answers, then check with your spouse, to see how right you really are.
1. He's sitting in front of the TV, what is on the screen? College sports (preferably BYU)
2. You're out to eat; what kind of dressing does he get on his salad? Poppyseed if they have it, otherwise some kind of vinagerette.
3. What's one food he doesn't like? Onions (but that's perfect, cuz neither do I)
4. You go out to eat and have a drink? Water.
5. Where did he go to high school? Holy Spirit High (a private Catholic school)
6. What size shoe does he wear? 13+
7. If he was to collect anything, what would it be? Tools
8. What is his favorite type of sandwich? PB&J (with crunchy PB)
9. What would this person eat every day if he could? PB&J and frosted mini wheats and pretzles(oh wait, he does eat those every day!)
10. What is his favorite cereal? Frosted mini wheats
11. What would he never wear? tights
12. What is his favorite sports team? BYU (football, perhaps basketball)
13. Who did he vote for? Obama. What a liberal!
14. Who is his best friend? Duh, me.
15. What is something you do that he wishes you wouldn't do? Yeah, he hates it when I get frustrated and lose my temper. He doesn't like how I overreact.
16. What is his heritage? Swedish and English mix
17. You bake him a cake for his birthday; what kind of cake? Perhaps the strawberry chocolate mousse torte. Cake? Either yellow with chocolate frosting or chocolate with ganache and berries.
18. Did he play sports in high school? Football and basketball
19. What could he spend hours doing? Playing with the kiddos
20. What is one unique talent he has? Besides putting up with me? He designs and builds his own furniture...when he has time (which hasn't been since Jack was born!)
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a bit of a tree hugger.
However, that has not caused me to rethink diapers until recently.
2 months ago, the world turned on its head. I discovered (in the process of a week) 5 friends who've turned to the dark side of laundry...the cloth diaper side...
I've been idly considering the switch for a few months, but it wasn't ever a pressing desire. All of the sudden, it just seemed like the right thing to do.
Saturday I ordered the diapers.
No, these are no your mama's diapers, although I am going with prefolds (man, the other options are more for a single diaper than I pay for a box of 72!). They should arrive this week or next. I am nervous, excited...scared that I'm getting myself into something I might not be able to keep up with.
So...for those of you who've done it, I need all the tips and help you can comment my way. Those of you who will only talk smack about cloth diapers...only do it if you can make it really funny :)