Friday, March 13, 2009

Diaper derby

Well, I've been using cloth diapers for 2 days now (going on 3) and I am pretty happy. Both Sheridan and Henry are in them during the day. I haven't been brave enough to try nights, yet.
Tuesday I received all my prefolds. Washed them 3 times and dried them in preparation for the CD experience. I'd received my covers and snappies a week prior.
Wednesday I stayed home. I was soooo nervous that the kids were going to pee through their diapers or have monumental blowouts...but they didn't I started off changing them about every hour, doubling up for naps, etc. I was nervous about the poopy diapers...but everything went well. No leaks whatsoever. Cleaning up the poop wasn't a problem, either. Henry's got nursing poop, so those don't have to be shaken off...Sheridan's were the scary ones! Fortunately, I ran across the idea of having a bucket for hosing off the diapers in the tub. It worked WAY better than trying to clean them off in the toilet (plus, that was tooooooo nasty to me). You just hold on to the clean edge and put the dirty part in the bucket and use the handheld shower to rinse off the poo into the bucket. The bucket water goes in the toilet with all the poo and is flushed away. The diaper is poo-free and goes in the pail (with a little sprinkle of baking soda). No mess or nastiness. Probably used 18 diapers between the 2!
I left Wednesday thinking I could probably do it...
Thursday I tried some different folds and the kiddos ended up with huge Cloth Diaper bums! It was a little hilarious. I changed them every 2-3 hours instead of every 1-1.5, and didn't double up for naps (and Sheridan had a full 3 hour nap). NO PROBLEMS!!! I think this could end up working well. I only used about 9 diapers for both kids, plus 2 disposables for overnight.
Washed the diapers and put them in the dryer at bedtime. They were ready to go this morning!
Sheridan loves them...although she is expressing SOME desire to sit on the potty more often. All part of my sneaky plan!
I still need to figure out how to do nighttimes in cloth, as well as long trips with CD's instead of disposables...but so far, so good! (my tree-hugging friends would be proud!)
The added benefit for my skinny Shei is that the CD bum keeps her pants up a little better.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm. I'm still wary.

Kate said...

wow, this was the poopiest post I have ever read, but very informative. I'm glad you enjoy cloth diapers so much. I listen to my mom tell me about rinsing diapers out in the toilet.........yikes. You are a better person than me.

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm glad they're working out for you. They still seem a bit scary to me. I hope I can still use disposable when I babysit. I'm not sure how I fell about cleaning off the poop, toilet or no toilet....

Tyler V said...

Oh, Beth, just wait til we come to your house and that's the day it leaks out everywhere. Then you'll be on board, I'm sure.
Kate, it's taken me the 3rd kid and 6 other girlfriends joining the cloth diaper bandwagon before I've ventured on. It's amazing what years will do to you (or how crazy 3 kiddos will make you...)

Keith and Nicci said...

So, I've been using the rice paper liners for those disgusting poopy ones and they've actually worked quite nicely most of the time. But I really like the bucket in the bathtub idea for when I don't have those on hand...

dani and fam said...

go you!

Unknown said...

You are on the same page as SNL...so funny.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/55587/saturday-night-live-pampers#s-p2-st-i3

Tim and Angie said...

I'm glad it's going well for you. I hope Sheridan potty trains soon for you though.

Hannah said...

Did you ever think a few years ago that you would be writing so much about poo and pooping and cleaning poopy diapers? I didn't. Good job with the diapers, really.