Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not a good thing...

Well, for those of you who know my extended family (the Birds), it has been a rough few weeks. My mom was recently diagnosed with uterine cancer and had a hysterectomy--that was supposed to take care of the problem since uterine cancer is generally localized and is less aggressive.

My mom has Multiple Sclerosis and is wheelchair-bound, so there were some complications with recovery--pnuemonia, congestive heart failure, etc. It was a little scary, but she finally came home on Monday (hooray!). Things were looking up.
Unfortunately, they found free-floating ovarian cancer cells during the surgery. Ovarian cancer isn't as 'friendly' as uterine cancer, so things are looking less cheery. Chemotherapy for 6 months is now in her near future. So, for those of you who do know my mom, your prayers will be MUCH appreciated. Heck, those of you who don't know my mom can also pray for her--I'm pretty sure God listens to people who don't know my mom as well as to those who do! My family tends to keep stuff like this on the down-low, but I know lots of my friends who love my mom--and I don't want to forget to tell someone!
Thanks for listening--I may not feel much like talking about this in person or over the phone, but it makes me feel better knowing that, nonetheless, friends will know what's going on.
Peace out.

17 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

I'm so sorry, Ali. I know life has been a bit rough for her and this doesn't help. I'm glad that they were able to get rid of the uterine cancer (my sister had that), but I'm sorry about the free-floating ovarian cancer cells.

Corey and I'll definitely keep her and you guys in our thoughts and prayers. (I know this will be rough on you as well.)

If you need anything, please let us know!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry! Just know that we'll pray for you and your family! We love you!

Keith and Nicci said...

I'm so glad you shared what's going on so we could be aware and pray for her too. Keep us posted :)

Cakegirl Lorilou said...

I'm so sorry to hear your mom is having such a difficult time. Tell her we love her and will be praying for her. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out!

Tams Family said...

We are sorry to hear about your mom. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know if there is anything we can do! Love you guys!

Kate said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Are prayers are with you and your family.

Natalie said...

Ali, I wish I were there to make you a big chocolaty dessert, take your kids for an afternoon, give you hugs (well, you know the drill) Hang in there--we're thinking of you guys!

The Jeffs Family said...

Ali, I am so sorry to hear about your mom's health. I will keep both her and you in my prayers. I know how hard this must be for you. I love you!!!

dani and fam said...

oh gosh ali. I had no idea you were going through this...You keep things under-wraps! You're so "level" that I forget you probably struggle with things too. I will remember to pray for Mama Bird even though I don't know her.

Nuestro Familia said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I know that this is a hard time for your family. Please know that we are praying for you!

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

Ali - We'll be thinking about you guys and your mom. My mother-in-law had uterine cancer, diagnosed last year, and they found ovarian cancer when they did her hysterectomy too. I don't know if they were the "floating" kind though, and she is doing great now. So, keep the positive thoughts flowing, like you always seem to do, and we'll keep her, your family, and her doctors in our thoughts/prayers!

Mappy Hama said...

We love you guys! Hope you work it out to go visit your family soon, I'm sure your Mom would love to see you all. Hope you know you can always call if you need to vent about how life can be stinky-I understand! ;o)

Unknown said...

Ali......I am so very very sorry. Why is life so unfair. Your poor mom, has had enough. She is still so young, and should be enjoying life right now, instead of fighting for it. Yes, of course I will pray for her, I do anyway. I will just double up. I pray that she can tolerate all of this. Hope your Dad is hanging in there too.
Love you, Diane and Gpa

Christian and Jennifer said...

I'm sorry, Ali. She definitely has our prayers. So do you. We love you guys.

carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
carolyn said...

Strength in numbers my dear! May the Lord bless and keep your mother well! the word verification is "manti". how did google know it was time for a gentle reminder of what life is truly about, regardless of the afflictions and trials we face?

Pedersen Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. My mom has a brain tumor, so understand how scary it is. It also isn't fun to watch someone you love suffer. If there is anything I can do, let me know!