Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tree Huggin' Ali

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm a bit of a tree hugger.
However, that has not caused me to rethink diapers until recently.
2 months ago, the world turned on its head. I discovered (in the process of a week) 5 friends who've turned to the dark side of laundry...the cloth diaper side...
I've been idly considering the switch for a few months, but it wasn't ever a pressing desire. All of the sudden, it just seemed like the right thing to do.
Saturday I ordered the diapers.
No, these are no your mama's diapers, although I am going with prefolds (man, the other options are more for a single diaper than I pay for a box of 72!). They should arrive this week or next. I am nervous, excited...scared that I'm getting myself into something I might not be able to keep up with.
So...for those of you who've done it, I need all the tips and help you can comment my way. Those of you who will only talk smack about cloth diapers...only do it if you can make it really funny :)

8 comments:

Hannah said...

My neighbors are the ultimate proponents for cloth diapers. If we would have had washing machine at home when we had child #1, we would have gone with cloth. I'm impressed that you are making the switch after experiencing the convience of disposables. I say, you go girl. Cloth diapers are so, so much better than they used to be anyway. Good on ya, Ali.

Keith and Nicci said...

I got mine (the ones I actually bought myself) last week! I ordered a box of Bummies prefolds and covers, and then 3 BumGenius for at night. So far everything has gone well! Good luck with your new adventures!

Melinda Ford said...

Since I don't think I can make what I want to say REALLY funny, let me just say this...I look forward to future posts about cleaning up after bodily functions!

Tim and Angie said...

Good luck! You're a better tree hugger than me.

The Jeffs Family said...

Wow--you are brave! Let me know how it goes. You must do a follow up post!

Tams Family said...

Nothing wrong with being a tree hugger. We are trying to be better about helping the environment as well, although I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle that one. It looks like the cloth diapers aren't so bad these days. Let us know how it goes.

Rebecca said...

way to go Ali! I myself love to save the world as you know, but I think Steve would think I was over the top if I did that one.but Who knows maybe you have inspired me and I will on the next one!

Unknown said...

Ali, I think you are crazy...no way am I scrubbing that stuff. I have seen some pretty strong research that suggests neither product is better for the environment than the other. My sister did a few months worth of research on the subject. What changed your mind?
http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/Diaper-Not-Clear.htm Good luck!