Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Victory is Ours (or, the post about pee)

I'm probably jinxing myself...but one must celebrate a victory as it comes, non?

(that was french for "no")
We started doing the full-time potty training on Saturday.
No, it's for Sheridan, silly. (This post might be a little gross for the super-clean--come on, it's about potty training, of course it's a little gross!)
I've been a little...mmm...reluctant to potty train Sheridan. Maybe terrified and resistant would be better descriptions. Jack was not an easy child to potty train ("not easy"? try horribly frustrating). I was not in a hurry to repeat that. However, she's been showing signs of readiness for a few months. With travelling and such, though, there was no way.
So, now the company has departed and we have no further adventures planned for this summer. When the kids had a viral rash this weekend, I figured there was no better time. 
Saturday we started. The princess underpants were a DEFINITE incentive (thank you, Grammy!). She's only had one or two accidents each day since then. But...
no poop.
Typical. she did NOT want to poop on the potty. This girl is normally more regular than metamucil, but she wasn't having it. 
Today I looked up some stuff online about potty training the non-poopers. One site recommended no underwear so they can feel the difference. After she failed to "go" at her usual time on the potty, I tried it. Whilst perusing another "potty" site, I heard a "thud, thud, thud" on the floor. 
Thank goodness I turned around and caught her before the 4th rabbit-like turd hit the floor. Fortunately she'd a little less loose than normal (that would have been DISGUSTING). I whisked her to the potty and she got the last out there (she couldn't even protest, just had to keep doing her business). Blessedly, Henry was far enough away that those...things...on the floor weren't a problem until I could get her onto the potty. While she finished up, I cleaned up (hoorary for Lysol!) and we celebrated with a potty dance and popsicles (don't worry, we sanitized everything in sight first!).
And tonight, wonder of wonder and miracle of miracles, she pooped on the potty of her own volition. 
Tomorrow will probably make up for it all.
Happy pooping!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I know, it is a crappy poem, but you know me.

I can poop on command
I can poop while being fanned
I can poop while out a little marching band
I can poop while I sit OR stand
I can poop while reading Ayn Rand
I can poop – ain’t it grand?

vanessa said...

Yay!! I tend to be hesitant to make big changes with my kids but I'm always amazed that they cope much better than I anticipate. Good luck in your messes and successes ahead. Thanks for the minivan advice too!

Jenni Elyse said...

Way to go, Sheridan! And, way to go you for trying out new things! Hopefully, she won't be as difficult as Jack was.

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm very excited for you!

Davis has started wanting to sit on the potty and he likes to try and change his own diapers (which I just love) So I guess I'm supposed to start potty training him, but I'm just not up for it yet.

V and Co. said...

yes its ME!!! i think of you all the time! i'm so happy that you got in touch!

okay and this corey person is hilarious...or has too much time on his hands.

Natalie Tidwell said...

Love the dr. suess inspired poem by dear sweet corey:) and totally understand the pooping thing--we still do the potty dance and treats. You gotta love when Jason runs into the living room after doing his business and tells the missionaries "i went BIG poopoo. Now I get a treat" oh those kids!

Keith and Nicci said...

Good luck!!! You're our hero Sheridan!!!

Tams Family said...

Hooray! Way to go Sheridan! We'll be working on Ryan soon too. He does pretty well at the pooping thing, but we are still working on the other. Good luck!

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

Awesome!! I guess that I'll have to lift my band on poop stories when Brynn gets to the potty training age. :) I forsee lots of popsicle and potty parties in your future this week!!

dani and fam said...

yay! mayes is doing the pee thing...we're happy with that for now! we'll see what happens after the big move...! YAY for Sheridan!

Dayna said...

i am glad she is potty trained! I am going to have to ask you for advice when the time comes for Gabe! I am NOT excited for that day!

WAY TO GO!

Rebecca said...

you are so funny! I am glad that you are having success!

Hannah said...

Oh dear. I am not anticipating an easy potty training in my guy's future. Way to go with Sheridan! If she only poops on the floor once, I'd call that a definite success. It does seem easier to clean off of the floor than out of pants sometimes, doesn't it?

Christian and Jennifer said...

Oh, my word. Corey's poem pushed me over the edge after reading your hilarious post and I almost wet my pants, which would be appropriate, non?