Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jack-tastic

Recently, Tyler went to go help out in Jack's class at school. While there, he noticed Jack's drawing of his favorite animal.
Any guesses as to what it was?
?
?
?
Well, whatever you guessed, you were wrong.
It's a Wing Wolf.
"A what!?!"
"Like, a wolf with wings. From Secrets of Droon," he casually explained.
Ahhhhhh.
I was able to contain the laughter that tried to explode out of me when they revealed this at the dinner table.
"But Jack," I choked out, "what's your favorite REAL animal? Like, not from the fiction books you read?"
His answer was pretty quick.
"Vampire bats."
"Oh," I responded, "that's really--"
He cut me off, explaining further. "Because they turn into vampires by night and then when they see the least bit of light, BAM, they turn back into bats!" He was very excited by this favorite.
Neither Tyler nor I could stop from laughing. Fortunately, it was fairly quiet and I was able to get myself under control (at least momentarily) to try to find out his favorite REAL animal. It was becoming important to me to know that he could KINDA separate fact and fiction.
"Dude, we've talked about that and you know that's something people like to pretend happens, but bats don't really turn into vampires, right? What's your favorite real animal that exists on EARTH and that doesn't turn into a monster?"
He pondered this one for a moment, then triumphantly replied, "Humans!"
Seriously. Humans?
"Ok, and how about other than humans, cuz lots of people kinda think humans are different from animals. What animal that is real, that doesn't change shape, that isn't a human?"
Tyler had to interject here, "Sheesh, Mom, putting in all these limitations! What kind of question is that?"
Finally, Jack had an answer for me. A real animal.
"Turtles."
Ok, not an animal he's ever considered as his favorite, but hey, it's a REAL animal.
"Because their shell is like a force field. I also like crabs because their shell is like a force field, too."

7 comments:

nicciwoffinden said...

Smile, smile, smile:):):)

David and Melanie said...

Ali, you are so narrow minded. these are REAL to him! Love this story! and love you all too!

Christian and Jennifer said...

HA! That is one seriously funny kid!

Jenni Elyse said...

Ha! Awesome. Did he get the vampire thing from me? Or has he recently read stories about vampires and bats and stuff.

Christina said...

I laughed, a lot. Our boys are so much a like it's scary!

Tamara said...

That's hilarious!

Unknown said...

Hey! The Winged Wolf is MY favorite animal too!!