Thursday, April 2, 2009

XXX


Don't worry, nothing questionable about this post!
It's just that Tyler finally hit the big 3-0.
That's right, it's a shoutout to the main man in my life, my fantabulicious husband.
He's kinda had a less-fun birthday, seeing that it's LDS General Conference this weekend. We did have a surprise dinner party with his sister's family last weekend (all the rest of his family was not feeling well last weekend), which was super-fun. I finally pulled off a surprise party that WAS a total surprise! That's big for us!
We had fajitas for dinner tonight (one of his faves) and surprised him with this piece of work.

We'll have his choice of strawberry chocolate mousse torte tomorrow with some friends.

All I can say about my hubby is that HE IS THE BEST!!! And now he's as old as me.

Ok, since this is really simple to make and totally tasty, I thought I'd post it.

Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Torte
1 c chocolate cookie crumbs
3 T butter, melted
1/2 c water
2 T corn syrup
2 c chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
2 1/2 c whipping creme
2 pints strawberries

Combine butter and cookie crumbs and press onto the bottom of springform pan. Cut several strawberries in half and press the cut sides against the edge of pan, tops pointing up. Line the edge of pan with strawberries--they're your side crust. Set aside.
Combine water and corn syrup in pan and bring to a boil. Simmer one minute then pour over chocolate chips. Stir until smooth and melted. Set aside to cool to room temp.
Meanwhile, whip 1 1/2 c. of the whipping creme to stiff peaks. When the chocolate is cooled, comine with whipped creme--fold gently with rubber spatula until thoroughly combined. Pour gently into prepared pan and smooth top. Chill in fridge for 4 to 24 hours.
Just before serving, whip remaining 1 c of creme to stiff peaks. Spoon gently onto torte. Place remaining stawberried (sliced) on top of creme--arrange them artfully if you are so inclined.
Remove the springform part of the pan and dig in. Oooooh yeah!

10 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Happy birthday, Tyler! Can't wait to celebrate with you tomorrow! Did you get Corey's and my text messages?

Cakegirl Lorilou said...

Happy Birthday Tyler. Welcome to the 30+ club.

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

Happy birthday, Tyler!! Ali - I'm glad that you have some company in the 30-club. Chris has been waiting for some company in that club for years. :)

And as usual -- awesome cakes. I wish you guys loved in VA, so you could make cakes for us!

Happy bday!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday Tyler! Wish we could be there to celebrate with you guys.

Tams Family said...

Happy Birthday Tyler! Hope you have a great 30th. And thanks for sharing the recipe!

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

Okay -- so I just looked at my comment and realized that I had a typo in my comment. How embarrassing!! I meant to say that I wish you guys "LIVED" in VA. I should've learned by now, not to do too many things at once!

Big B said...

Happy Birthday to you!

Christian and Jennifer said...

With every fiber of my food-loving being . . . YUUUUUMMMM. Happy Birthday!

Annie Hatch said...

Happy Birthday Tyler!!! I'm glad you finally caught up to Ali..that took awile. ha ha
Thanks for the delicious recipe, I am definitely making that one.

Dayna said...

30, that's awesome! Also, I looked at the torte and thought "I need that recipe"and then I scrolled down.....You are the best!