Friday, September 22, 2017

Updates don't mean up-to-date: but this one does mean a birth date!

I gave birth to another kid. Probably time for an annual blog update...
I did not publish far and wide that I was pregnant with #7 kiddo. The miscarriage I had before Micah made me very skittish about announcing anything (anxiety is a real thing, yo). Plus, I know so many people who deal with infertility. Or who would judge me for having another kiddo, even a super-awesome-surprise kiddo. I don't know that rational thought played any role in my decisions, but I do know that I'm so glad I have this little Miss!
So...
On September 1, I was 39 weeks pregnant and GREAT with child.
I was DONE. The older I get, the more pregnancies I go through, the more it HURTS.
So at 39 weeks, you bet I got my membranes stripped. 
And all day...nothing.
I made Tyler go for a walk with me after the kids went to bed. Legit, trying to walk myself into labor. I ate some watermelon, using my stomach as a table. I sat in the jetted tub when contractions started going, but that didn't last long.
I walked one foot off the curb. We walked and walked (and took a potty break) and walked.
Guess what? It worked! A little before midnight, we headed to the hospital and I got there and could not walk through contractions! I was like, I finally got the timing right! But I was still only at a 7, I think. I really wanted to get there later, so I didn't have to deal with those stupid monitors strapped to my belly and falling off and needing to be adjusted. I didn't want to deal with all those pesky questions they ask you while you're in labor (why do I bother pre-registering if I'm going to have to answer all the questions again?). I had to deal with a head nurse that was SO skeptical of my ability to have an unmedicated delivery. And a nurse who hadn't done many unmedicated deliveries (and all the ones she had done had traumatized her). But guess what? I did it anyway. I was able to relax and feel peaceful even though my contractions hurt in a way I couldn't just relax away (that was probably my placenta starting to detach, whoopsies). I mostly lay on my side and tried to relax through contractions. And then I finally had the midwife rupture my membranes and...
things slowed way down.
They had the whole delivery crew there, while I'm hanging out over the head of the bed. I'm at a 9. And then I start feeling awkward and stuff because they're all there waiting for me...and nothing. I do not perform well under pressure. 
It felt like forever before my body decided to get things really moving again, but it was probably only 20 minutes or so. And then I pushed out my baby GIRL! And she was covered in vernix! 
And she was a lot bigger than anyone thought she would be.
 9 lb 7 oz 
Can you imagine how big she'd have been if we'd gone another week?
And then she chilled out and was totally content. First selfie!
And I was SO happy to not be pregnant and to have our little girl here safe and sound and perfect.
The kids were totally shocked the next morning, because Tyler came home in the middle of the night and they had NO IDEA we'd left and had a baby! They were so excited to meet her!
And Micah even liked her, which I really worried about!
He stepped into big brotherhood like a boss.
Cole adored her from day one and hasn't stopped being overly affectionate since.
Amelia was so sweet with her!
Henry held her and even liked her, but was ready to pass her along to Sheridan pretty quickly.
Sheridan was basically already a pro snuggler.
And Jack is about the best big brother a little girl could ask for.
And there we have our complete family! We have decided to keep them all.
Even if they are a little crazy sometimes.
Sweet baby Eliza Adelaide! It took us a while to figure out her name, but the Eliza is to honor Great-Great-Grandma Elsa and Adelaide is the root name for Allison and Alice (my grandmother who's birthday was the day before Eliza's).
She got her first bath...
And we got to take her home! It was really different taking a baby home in the heat instead of the cold!
Welcome home, sweet little Eliza Adelaide!

0 comments: