Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Take the Shots You Can Get and Don't Complain






I've learned that with my kids, you take the shots you can get and don't complain. They didn't stay still very long. And they scream a lot when you try to make them stay still...or even minimize their movements.


The pirate, the princess, and the dragon.
They came.
They saw.
They hauled in some candy.
Jack decided to be a pirate after he got an eye patch at pre-K and had a costume party shortly afterward. Sheridan has wanted to be Cinderella since...well, last spring I think. She NEVER varied from that. Her Grammy was super-nice and gave her an actual Cinderella dres...but Sheridan had already decided (probably in Spring, unbeknownst to me) that she was going to wear the blue princess dress she already had...deep down, I think she kinda wanted to be Cinderella in the pink dress (the one the stepsisters tore up). She has very strong opinions. Henry got to be the dragon since we had the alligator costume from Jack's first Halloween--I only needed to add the long red tongue and wings. He looked SO CUTE crawling around (that little tail was adorable!) but all those pictures are a blur. Sigh. Photographing a baby is rough work.
We got to attend a friend's Halloween Party and made some fun spiders with glowing legs (the kids fought over the glowing legs ALL THE NEXT DAY). We ate tasty food. We trick-or-treated around our little neighborhood and the kids got enough candy to last me a week or so. I mean, to last them a little while. Long enough that I'll get sick of their sugar-induced craziness and I'll have to do something desperate, like eat all the rest (which shouldn't be too bad, cuz they like all the candy like strawberry drops and bubble gum and they're leaving all the chocolate).
Then our friends Uncle Corey and Aunt Jenni came over and hung out with us until the last of the trick-or-treaters gave up. They left fairly early...which is good, due to the time change. (Falling back is not a kind time change for parents. It means the kids will STILL get up at their "regular" time, except now their regular time is an hour earlier. I'm looking forward to springing forward already.) And then the kids got to come down off their sugar high and messed up sleep cycles on Sunday. The end.

6 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

The all looked so cute in their costume, but I have to admit that Henry was the best because of his crawling around. I was absolutely giddy with him moving around in it. So cute!

Thanks for letting us come and share the night with you guys. We always love to hang out with you guys and share your kids. :)

PS - I hope you're feeling better!

Hannah said...

Cute, cute kids and costumes. I'm glad I'm not the only mother who enjoys eating the kids' candy and who is happy as a clam that they prefer the gross stuff (pixie stix). Do you really have swine flu?

Unknown said...

Very Cute! I love the costumes! The kids are cute too :)

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

Totally adorable -- and I must say that you did pretty well with your pictures, considering you probably had 2 really excited trick or treaters and Henry crawling all over the place. So cute!!

And I totally agree about the time change. Brynn has been sleeping in until close to 8am (Uh oh -- I just jinxed it, I think!), but she woke up at 5:30 am on Sunday!

Liz Harrell said...

Oh my gosh. They are precious. And that dragon costume might just be the cutest thing I've ever seen!

The Prudent Homemaker said...

This year I did something different. I took their pictures during the day, outside--seperately. I got better photos than ever before, andthe child who always is the most difficult (my 1-year-old) had all wonderful photos!