Monday, October 19, 2009

Privacy, Please!

You know how everyone is going private with their blogs?

Yeah, we're not doing that. I figure that blogstalkers need blogs to stalk, right?
Anyhow, this is about more important privacy.
Our room.
For those of you who've been out of the loop or haven't visited our house, we sleep in the family room. There are only 2 bedrooms on each floor of our house and we weren't comfortable with having our little kids a whole floor away. Since Sheridan was in a crib and Jack stayed in his room when we moved in, it wasn't an issue that we didn't have a bedroom door. But, come on, after 2 years it got a little old.
So, we built one.
There was a cold air return agains the old wall, so we had to build out a 2 foot section into the entrance to the room. Studwork above the doorway, Sheetrock, door insertion, mud and tape, texturizing, and priming followed. I still need to put up the trim around the door, and air return above the door, and put finishing paint on, but hey! We got a door up before my brother moved in, which is a win for EVERYONE!

And then we fixed the paneling. You can see it in the back of some of the above picts, but here's a clearer shot.
I have hated the paneling in our room since we moved in. It's dark and a little creepy.
What, creepy, you think?
Let us take a closer look at that innocent paneling...

You thought they were faux knotholes, but they're hunting vignettes! Apparently, they were a big selling point for the previous owners...but then, if you've followed this blog since we moved in, you know that they had all manner of animal-centric decor going on (heck, not just decor...they were VERY into animals and hunt'n).
Oh, so here's what it looked like with the skim coat of joint compound (and on anther tangent, I LOVE JOINT COMPOUND!!! Give me that and some painters' caulk, and I am a happy little homie). And the final? MUCH better! It just looks like a normal old wall!

6 comments:

Cakegirl Lorilou said...

Bird, you are so "crappy"! I love the improvements you have made. Alot more daring than I would be at this point.

Jenni Elyse said...

O love the new wall. It looks much better! :)

Chris, Kristen, and Brynn said...

I just don't understand why anyone would want to cover up that gorgeous paneling?! We must have totally different taste! :)

Nice work...not sure how you guys do what you do with 3 little ones running around...but you amaze me, as usual!

Rebecca said...

Very Nice!!!! I have never seen that part of your house, but you have told me much about it! you make me Laugh!!! I love your posts!

DT Stevens said...

Ali, your blog looks great. Hey thanks for your comment on my post about sick kids in nursery on facebook. I think it's helped some parents in my ward to take a closer look at it. Here's our blog. Hope you don't mind if we follow yours.
http://dtstevensnewsletter.blogspot.com/

V and Co. said...

um who does that kind of crap to their walls? and on panel no less! yikes love the "new look" a little better ;)
oh and by the way your "new mommy hair-do" is hot...just thought i would add that.