Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mmmm, tasty.

(Evan, Sheridan, Jack, and Adam at the Oquirrh Mt. Temple Open House, July)
This morning our friends watched the kids so we could go to the LDS Ouqirrh Mountain Temple dedication (it's pronounce "ocher", like the color). Over the past months the temple has been open to the general public for tours, but with the dedication it becomes sacred. It was really cool to participate in a dedication on our 7th anniversary--it was a great reminder that temples allow our family to be together forever and a very peaceful and spiritual way to spend the morning.
After the dedication, we had a tasty brunch with Corey and Jenni. I made my FAVORITE pancakes, pikelets from New Zealand. Corey got as addicted to them as I am so I thought I'd share the recipe (I make a double batch at least weekly and we all gobble them up!). Sheridan calls them "baby pancakes" since they're silver dollar sized and because they're a little sweet, they're delicious just plain (of course, they're also delicious slathered in butter or dunked in yogurt or topped with fruit and powdered sugar, or nutella'd...the possibilities are endless!).

(from the Edmonds Cookery Book, New Zealand)
1 c flour (I do half whole wheat and half unbleached flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk

Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat egg and sugar until thick (I just use a fork to do this). Add with milk to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (overmixing results in rubbery pancakes). Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture from the point of a spoon onto a hot nonstick gridle (I set my gridle to 375--if yours isn't nonstick, grease it lightly). Turn pikelets over when bubbles start to burst on top surface. Cook second side until golden. Makes 8-12. (I like them best hot off the gridle without any toppings--they are slightly crunchy on the edges and sooo tasty!)

0 comments: