Sunday, December 14, 2008

Of Tools and Super Glue and Princess Things...

Sheridan is intent on hanging up her artwork...and she's going to "do it self!" Tyler is glad that another kid is showing intense interest in his love of tools.


I'll sandwich my idiocies with cute pictures of the girl. So, here's my (long) funny story.
I am NOT coordinated or graceful, but now I am SCARRED!
Last week, I was trying to get down an iron that's been sitting in our hall closet. Not because I was going to iron (my last fiasco with ironing curtains has left a lasting mark on my right forearm 3 inches long...) but because I was being nice and getting the extra iron for someone else. Because, if nothing else, I'm unfailingly nice, right. Right?!?
Anyway, it was stuck behind several games and some wooden home decor items that have been put away for Christmas. Heaven forbid I actually move everything to pull out one little iron! I was adroitly easing the iron out when (BANG!) the Memory game tried to end it's frustrating situation on top of all the other games. While dodging the game, I did not see the aforementioned wooden home decor hurtling through Memory's shadow into my FACE. (I guess the decor was frustrated by my replacing it with Christmas stuff.)
I retreated to the bathroom, managing to keep my language clean all the while (really, that was the most impressive part of the whole fiasco!). When the haze of pain cleared I looked in the mirror, fully expecting a sweet bruise on my upper lip. Instead, I was greeted by a half-inch long gash that was bleeding freely. Looked like a 12 year-old boy who'd gotten into a tussle with Dad's Bick. Sigh. And to make things even lovelier, it wouldn't close up with a bandaid--it kept gaping open and bleeding all over.
Tyler, very smart guy that he is, suggested super glue. Fabulous! I busted that out, squeezed it onto the cut (after noting on the package that it bonds to skin in seconds--just what I needed!) and watched in horror as it spurted out of the tube and ran down over my lips. I had the presence of mind to open my mouth, though, so it didn't seal shut! Phew! The second time, I got things right--cut sealed nicely with a little super-help. Of course, it's right under my nose so the FUMES (which are toxic--good thing I'm not pregnant any more!) were threatening to asphixiate me until it dried. But, you know, I avoided the Emergency room and the stinking huge copay to have them super glue it for me at 11 pm. So, all's well that ends well! And, yet another reason to not even TOUCH the iron, let alone use it!

On a brighter note, for any who doubt, Sheridan is fully invested...in becoming a Princess. Her Dad watched her create this sweet ensemble, all by herself!

8 comments:

vanessa said...

Crazy story! Great job being resourceful. I've been trying to avoid the doctor at all costs as well. I wish Avery could be closer to Sheridan now too. Avery is obsessed with being a princess.

Jenni Elyse said...

Super glue is a wonderful invention, but it always gets everywhere! I inevitably stick my fingers together every time I use it. So, I'm really impressed that you didn't seal your lips shut. And, I'm glad that your lips didn't get sealed shut.

Ali said...

Super glue? Really? I am amazed. Guess Tyler's time in Linwood ward scouting was useful. ;0)

Keith and Nicci said...

Are you kidding me? I am laughing so hard right now, although I should probably be feeling bad for you:(. That is an awesome story!

Tams Family said...

Cute kids! Sorry to hear about your little accident - hope it gets better soon. Hooray for super glue!

Daniel said...

Only a great sister would go through pain and bleeding to make sure her brother had an iron to use!

Christina said...

I'm so sorry Ali, thought it was a good idea to seal it shut with super glue, Matt uses that stuff all the time for wounds. I guess it's what football players do. I'm glad your OK, and I agree the iron should be avoided at all cost (we should compare scars sometime).

Hannah said...

I knew I hated ironing for a reason. I'll keep mine on the shelf. Oh, wait. I have to speak in church tomorrow. I guess I'd better iron my skirt. Bummer. And Sheridan just takes after you, "do it self."